Real Estate Controller – click for PDF
Real Estate Controller
Commitment: Full time
Location: Central Ohio
Peak 10 Group is based in Central Ohio and is a privately held real estate firm that focuses on multi-family investments in Ohio, Texas, Utah & Indiana. The new hire will have the opportunity to join an entrepreneurial team and environment. All levels of the company – staff, and managers – work directly with the Owner, Partners, and CFO and in a collaborative manner. This full time position would be in our Central Ohio office location.
Without the strength of our accounting team, we wouldn’t be able to sustain the current pace of growth and expansion. We are seeking an experienced accountant, preferably in a senior role, to oversee this team in the role of real estate controller. As a strong communicator and month end close expert, you will make it your mission to streamline our financial reporting processes, partnership accounting, and oversee various company payroll functions. You will produce thorough financial-status reports for senior management and stakeholders to help improve our operational efficiency and aid in our continued growth.
What is in it for you?
Do you want to learn how large multi-family real estate transactions and developments happen in real life? Are you watching all the Bigger Pockets videos, listening to all the CRE podcasts, following the REtwit crew on Twitter? Wondering if you can pull off a syndicated deal and hoping to get equity in a deal you will be working on? This is the team for you then. You will be part of a fully integrated team and involved in all aspects of the large apartment deals. It is a full-time job, but we offer a flexible work environment; work hard when the deals require it, but we also recognize that life is short, and we need to take time off to play and recharge our batteries.
Daily and monthly responsibilities
· Oversee timely monthly close and consolidation process of partnership accounts and investments.
· Ensure the integrity and consistency of financial data across financial reporting systems and processes. Support the maintenance of a strong internal control system
· Ensure timely and accurate internal financial reporting and analysis; including actionable
financial information to management and partners
· Establish and manage financial policies, systems and procedures for all facets of Sterling’s financial efforts in accordance with GAAP; monitor compliance, and make improvements as requisite
· Execute management reporting for our equity partners in a timely and accurate fashion.
· Communicate the financial outcomes by preparing quarterly investor reporting
· Provide financial planning and forecasting, P&L analysis, and reporting to stakeholders.
· Partner with the CFO to develop solutions and execute against all aspects of finance strategies, initiatives and key investments
· Coordinate with CPA on preparation of K-1s and periodic tax filings, including federal and state income tax returns and sales and property tax filings and appeals
· Partner with the property management and development team to lead continuous improvement initiatives for key financial systems, infrastructure and reports
· Assist the CFO with the annual financial planning and forecasting process and drive improvements in efficiency, accuracy, and transparency
· Help with the direction, ongoing development, and implementation of policies, processes, and systems to build the infrastructure necessary to support a high-growth organization
· Responsible for effective managing relationship with outside auditors
Skills and Qualifications
Confident enough to communicate opinions within the organization and with developer partners; prudent enough to know when to ask questions before communicating the wrong information
Solid analytical/logical mindset and high attention to detail, meticulous, and careful
Self-motivated, ability to take the lead on their work without a lot of management oversight; have high expectations and aspirations of themselves and want to demonstrate that to their employer by exceeding expectations and always does will do what it takes to get the job done
Strong written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, and confident). Ability to present information in an organized way to executive management to convey a message that is understandable and relevant, linking business issues, financial results
Highly proficient at creating elegant, efficient, and effective financial models, budgets, and reports, with desire to train others to do the same.
Strong executive leadership skills with experience partnering at the investor and executive management levels
Hands-on leadership style with great people development skills, including the ability to motivate, develop and retain high-performing people
Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software is a plus; must be able to apply a sophisticated technical acumen in building McKinley’s accounting platform
Possesses impeccable integrity and business ethics, operating in a transparent manner
Ability to anticipate change and consistently meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
Able to work under tight time constraints and extended hours as required
Highly task oriented with conscientious follow-through and strong attention to detail
Exceptional management, mentoring, coaching and leadership skills to ensure that the team and best practices are continuously operating at maximum efficiency
Tech savvy: ability to work with multiple software platforms and integrated systems
Skilled at developing policies, procedures, and practices to produce better than anticipated results
Possesses good judgment and the ability to see the big picture, supporting his/her recommendations with thorough analysis
Willing to share their views and assert themselves in discussions
Ability to work both autonomously and in a team setting
5+ years’ experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager
Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis
Proven payroll experience, with a focus on streamlining accounting processes
Exemplary history of financial project management
Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
A Bachelor’s degree in Business Accounting/Finance with CPA would be a plus.
Ideal, but not required
5 years real estate accounting experience; Big 4 experience is preferred
Investment, acquisition, and due diligence experience in residential development projects
Understanding of real estate development and financing processes, including but not limited to market analysis, financial analysis, property valuation, and capital structures.
Knowledge or property management software systems: Appfolio, Yardi, Real Page
Knowledge of underwriting process and related software systems: RedIQ.
Pay range in Columbus, OH
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Base pay range
$75,000/yr – $95,000/yr
Medical insurance allowance
Annual Equity Investment options
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send resume, LinkedIn profile page, website and or cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org